You have no items in your shopping cart.
Almost 20 years after his bestselling book Mind as Healer, Mind as Slayer transformed our understanding of disease presentation and the effects of stress on the immune system, Dr. Kenneth R. Pelletier’s latest work, Sound Mind, Sound Body, offers a dramatic new approach to understanding personal health.
Lifelong good health, said Dr. Pelletier, is far more dependent on a positive, purposeful life orientation than an aerobic workouts and regimented low-fat diets. This extraordinary relation is based on a wide body of recent research findings, as well as Dr. Pelletier’s own five-year Rockefeller-funded study of 51 prominent men and women who have made major contributions to the world beyond their own personal success and security-including Lindsay Wagner; Norman Lear, and Congresswoman Claudine Schneider.
Dr. Pelletier challenges the medical community’s long-accepted focus on the “disease model” and proposes a positive new health paradigm. Sound Mind, Sound Body examines the lives of people who are rarely ill, who manage aging successfully, or who cope extremely well with both acute and chronic illness-and describes how they do it. Among Dr. Pelletier’s fascinating findings:
- People who overcome serious illness or physical trauma in childhood are often actually strengthened-not debilitated-by the experience.
- People who enjoy a sense of belonging and a real connection with other people generally pass through periods of intense stress and exposure to health hazards and remain untouched by illness.
- Altruistic work is closely related to the ability to overcome life-threatening crises and disease.
- There is a healthy way of being ill, which can help a person manage such chronic problems as arthritis and heart disease.
Filled with true stories that will both surprise and inspire, Sound Mind, Sound Body is a testament to the human capacity for striking a vital balance of a sound mind and a sound body—and for growing and to facing new challenges with conviction. It explores how personal health practices and a sense of meaningful purpose play a major role in both inner fulfillment and professional success, and offers practical, effective techniques to help anyone achieve physical, mental, and emotional equilibrium and enjoy a lifetime of optimal health.
“Dr. Pelletier has redefined health as an expression of higher states of consciousness. His book is bound to become a classic and serve as the authoritative work for all of us who are interested in exploring the unbounded potential and creativity of human life.”
– Deepak Chopra, M.D., Author of Ageless Body, Timeless Mind and Quantum Healing
“In Sound Mind, Sound Body, Dr. Pelletier outlines a new model of health that describes the relationship between spiritual values and optimal health as they relate to inner fulfillment and outer success. It is a fascinating work.”
– Dean Ornish, M.D. Author of Eat More, Weigh Less and Dr. Dean Ornish’s Program for Reversing Heart Disease
“Sound Mind, Sound Body shows just how powerful a genuine altruistic attitude can be. It’s the path to overcoming adversity and staying healthy throughout your life.”
– Bernie Siegel, M.D., author of Love, Medicine, and Miracles and Peace, Love, and Healing.
|Subtitle||A New Model For Lifelong Health|
|Author||Dr. Kenneth R. Pelletier|
|Publisher||Simon & Schuster|